Avoid “Digileadhub” Phishing Email Scam
By Chris Berleth, President, The Columbia Montour Chamber of Commerce
On Tuesday, October 17, the Columbia Montour Chamber became aware of a phishing/spam email that is circling among our members that reads as follows:
“Hi “Chamber Member Name”,
I’m following up to confirm if you are interested in acquiring the Distribution/Member List.
- Columbia Montour Chamber of Commerce (Pennsylvania, USA, 2023)
- 1,000+ Contacts
I’m awaiting your response so I can share the price and other information.
Cynthia – Event Coordinator”
As you likely know, “phishing” is the fraudulent practice of sending emails or other messages purporting to be from reputable companies in order to induce individuals or businesses to reveal personal information, such as passwords and credit card numbers. At this time, the Chamber’s accounts and software are secure, and this phishing email is NOT indicative of a breach of any kind.
As you can see from the above text, the phishing email in question is an unauthorized attempt to sell the Chamber’s directory/membership list. There are several important facts you must know:
Identifying Authentic Communications
Please note the following regarding our communications:
- This email did not derive from Chamber staff, nor does it derive from any of our partners, affiliates, or programs. All communications from the Columbia Montour Chamber of Commerce originate from email addresses that end in “@columbiamontourchamber.com”.
- Our staff roster, Board of Directors, partners, and affiliates may be verified at any time via our website, columbiamontourchamber.com. Mailed letters endorsing our publication partners always precede the advertising process for our publications.
- The Chamber is proud to partner each year with Victor Koons Graphic Design for the design and publication of our Annual Business Directory and every three years for the Quality Living in Columbia and Montour Counties book, which is a partnership with the Columbia Montour Visitors Bureau. Last but not least, the Chamber proudly partners with the Press Enterprise for our quarterly print publication Business Matters. These remain the endorsed advertising partners of the Chamber.
- Both the Chamber’s print directory and online directory are available to the public at no charge via our website. As part of your member benefits, each member receives a printed copy via mail at no additional charge. In fact, members are set to receive a copy of the new directory (2023-2024) in the next ChamberPack.
- Mailing labels are available for purchase directly through the Chamber both a la carte and as a member benefit at the Promote Level. The Chamber does not contract with a third party for the sale of mailing labels or the distribution of directories. These may be ordered by calling Brenda Flanagan, Administrative Assistant, at 570-784-2522 or emailing her at email@example.com .
Please be careful when responding to email solicitations. We thank our members for promptly making us aware of this phishing email, which attempts to trade on the Chamber’s good name and reputation to get a foot in the door with your business for nefarious purposes.
Trusted IT Resources
For more information regarding cyber security, and how to shield yourself from scam emails like this, please consider working with trusted Chamber members in the Information Technology field:
- InnoTek Computer Consulting
- JLink Inc.
- OPTiMO Information Technology, LLC
For more resources for your business regarding cybersecurity, visit this free resource center created by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
Given the rise of cyber security issues facing businesses, now might also be a good time to consider a cyber insurance policy. For more information on those policies, consider connecting with a member insurance agency to mitigate and prevent losses due to cyber-attacks.