Construction Detour Continues in Bloomsburg
On September 19, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation issued the following update regarding construction projects in Bloomsburg:
Montoursville, PA – Construction on the Route 11 / 487 project in Bloomsburg, Columbia County, continues this week. The roadwork improvement project will continue near the intersection of Sixth Street / Columbia Boulevard and East Street and will continue to East Main Street.
Tuesday, September 20
On Tuesday, September 20, Phase 8 of the reconstruction project will begin on East Street between Main Street and Fourth Street. There will be NO ACCESS to Route 11 / 487 / East Street from the intersection of Route 487 (Lightstreet Road), Route 11 (Main Street) and East Second Street. Route 11 southbound from Berwick / 487 northbound traffic from Catawissa will be shifted to the Route 11 northbound / 487 southbound lane and continue through the work zone.
The East Street intersections with East Third Street, Green Avenue and East Anthony Avenue will be closed on the east side of East Street.
The Fifth Street intersection signal will be fully functional and controlling traffic with normal operations.
Long Term Detour
Route 11 northbound / 487 southbound (East Street) between Main Street and Fourth Street will be closed throughout the duration of the phase. The following detour routes have been implemented, with signs and message boards leading up to and throughout the detours:
- Route 487 southbound CAR traffic coming from Lightstreet and continuing to Route 11 North and 487 South will follow Route 11 South (Main Street) to Market Street to East Sixth Street to the Route 11 / Route 487 intersection at Columbia Boulevard.
- Route 487 southbound TRUCK traffic coming from Lightstreet and continuing to Route 487 South will follow Route 11 South (Main Street) to Market Street to Fort McClure Boulevard to Route 487.
- Route 487 southbound TRUCK traffic coming from Lightstreet and continuing to Route 11 North will follow Route 11 South (Main Street) to Market Street to Fort McClure Boulevard to Route 487 north to Route 11.
- Route 11 northbound CAR traffic coming from Danville and continuing to Route 11 North and 487 South will follow Market Street to East Sixth Street to the Route 11 / Route 487 intersection at Columbia Boulevard.
- Route 11 northbound TRUCK traffic coming from Danville direction continuing to Route 11 North will follow Market Street to Fort McClure Boulevard to Route 487 north to Route 11.
- Route 11 northbound TRUCK traffic coming from Danville and continuing to Route 487 South will follow Market Street to Fort McClure Boulevard to Route 487.
- Route 11 southbound from Lime Ridge and continuing to Route 487 northbound from Catawissa will continue those routes through the work area, with temporary traffic control devices maintaining a one-way condition.
- Tractor trailers (including Kawneer deliveries) must follow the detours explicitly, as there will be no access / exit points using local streets between Main Street and Sixth Street.
Work on this project includes removal and reconstruction of the existing roadway, replacement of curb, sidewalk, overhead street lighting, parking meters and drainage features. New traffic signals will be installed at the Fifth Street intersection. Upon completion of the Route 11 southbound / 487 northbound lane, construction will switch to the Route 11 northbound / 487 southbound lane for the same process with one-way traffic switching to the completed lane.
The final roadway wearing course will be placed upon completion of Phase 8 and cover the entire roadway of the three phases.
Motorists should be alert, slow down, expect travel delays, watch for lane changes, and drive with caution.
Work on this project is expected to be completed by the fall of 2022. HRI, Inc., is the primary contractor for the $6.8 million reconstruction project, which includes drainage improvements, roadway resurfacing, tree removal and replacement, new concrete curb and sidewalks, traffic signal upgrades, highway lighting, and other miscellaneous work. For more information including maps of the detours and construction area visit: https://www.penndot.gov/RegionalOffices/district-3/ConstructionsProjectsAndRoadwork/Pages/default.aspx or enter Bloomsburg 0011-114 into your web browser.
Motorists can check conditions on major roadways by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras.
511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional Twitter alerts.
Subscribe to PennDOT news and traffic alerts in Tioga, Bradford, Lycoming, Sullivan, Union, Snyder, Northumberland, Montour and Columbia counties at www.penndot.pa.gov/District3.
Information about infrastructure in District 3 including completed work and significant projects, is available at www.penndot.gov/D3Results. Find PennDOT's planned and active construction projects at www.projects.penndot.gov.
MEDIA CONTACT: Maggie Baker, 570-368-4202 or email@example.com.