Member News – August 29, 2018
- Community Options, Inc., a provider of residential and employment support to people with disabilities, is seeking individuals interested in serving on a new business advisory committee for Community Options’ Bloomsburg office. Community Options’ mission is to promote the integration of persons with disabilities within the communities in which they reside, enabling them to become viable and contributing neighbors, employees and citizens of the community. The purpose of this committee is to discuss and implement ways to help the organization better integrate into the community and bridge the gap between the community and the individuals it serves. If you may be interested in serving on this committee, or for questions, contact associate executive director David McConaghy at 570-638-6007 or email. The next committee meeting is scheduled for tomorrow Aug. 30 at noon at Community Options’ Bloomsburg office, located at 1117 Old Berwick Rd.
- Central Susquehanna Opportunities, Inc. will hold a SNAP Awareness Day tomorrow, Aug. 30 at its Shamokin, Sunbury and Bloomsburg offices, from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. The purpose of this event is to spread awareness of the SNAP program (also known as food stamps), its eligibility and qualification guidelines and how to apply. CSO’s Bloomsburg office is located at 16 Sherwood Dr. For more information or for questions, call Harry at 570-644-6575 ext. 178.
- The Montour St. bridge in the Borough of Danville (located just behind the Sunoco gas station on Rt. 54), will be closed on or around Wednesday, Sept. 5 for reconstruction. Motorists are reminded to please use an alternate route. Check the Borough’s Facebook page for updates on this project.
- The Weis Center for the Performing Arts will hold another free concert on Thursday, Sept. 6 at 7:30 p.m. in the Weis Center Atrium.
This performance will feature David Power, one of Ireland’s foremost uilleann pipers, and New Jersey fiddler Willie Kelly, who will combine traditional Irish music. This duo recently collaborated on a new album titled Apples in Winter, which the Irish Echo described as something “will resonate with the people who love and admire traditional Irish music played with a stately air and a gentlemanly touch.”
- In celebration of its 25th anniversary, Camp Victory will hold a special free family fun day for the community on Sunday, Sept. 9, from 12-3 p.m. Its swimming pool, climbing wall and zip line will be open and there will be hot dogs, ice cream, drinks, an arts and crafts project, a moon bounce, wagon rides and live music. For more information, visit the Facebook event page.
- The Central Susquehanna Community Foundation will hold a luncheon on Tuesday, Sept. 11, from 12-1:30 p.m. at Monty’s on the Bloomsburg University campus to celebrate the grants made to community organizations through the Bloomsburg Area Community Foundation. Local nonprofit organizations will be presented with the 2018 grant awards. There is no cost to attend, but an RSVP is requested. See the invitation for more information. RSVP online or by emailing or calling Karri Harter at 570-752-3930 ext. 6.
- The Central Susquehanna Community Foundation will also host a special presentation on how federal tax reform, signed into law last December, is impacting charitable planning for individuals and businesses on Wednesday, Sept. 12 at the Iron Fork at Frost Valley Resort in Danville. A lunch session will focus on individuals and families and will be held from 12:30-1:30 p.m., with lunch served at noon. An afternoon session focusing on businesses will be held from 4:30-5:30 p.m., with hors d’oeuvres served at 4 p.m. There is no cost to attend either session. See the flyer for additional information. RSVP by Sept. 5 online or by emailing or calling Karri Harter at 570-752-3930 ext. 6.
- The Borough of Danville’s Flood Resiliency Task Force will host a flood insurance policy seminar at the Danville Borough building, 463 Mill St., Danville, on Thursday, Sept. 20, at 6 p.m. Stetler Insurance Associates will present information regarding what should be included on the flood insurance policy declaration page, review common mistakes seen on flood insurance policies, and answer questions. The Flood Resiliency Task Force is made up of representatives from real estate, banking and insurance industries, as well as local residents and Borough staff. See the flyer for additional information, or contact Jamie Shrawder at 570-275-3091 ext. 3 or email.
- MePush will be hosting a series of study sessions throughout the fall at its conference room at 130 Buffalo Rd., Lewisburg, for information technology professionals that are taking and interested in getting together to study for the Cisco CCNA exam. This major certification in the IT industry is a big undertaking for some, so MePush would like to offer a forum to help other IT pros in the area improve their skills and certifications. If interested, please email Art so MePush can have a headcount.