- The Bucknell SBDC will host its annual Celebration of Small Business breakfast, which will also mark a celebration of the 40th anniversary of the Bucknell SBDC, tomorrow morning, July 19, from 8-10 a.m. at the Elaine Langone Center’s Terrace Room on the 2nd floor on the Bucknell campus. Business owners, legislators, economic development partners and startup enthusiasts are invited to join the SBDC for breakfast to recognize the entrepreneurs and leaders of the region. Special presentations will include the U.S. Small Business Association Young Entrepreneur of the Year for Eastern PA, the Product Innovator of the Year and the Charles H. Coder Entrepreneurial Leadership Award, named for the Bucknell SBDC’s founding director. Register online or call 570-577-1249.
- Community Options, Inc., a provider of residential and employment support to people with disabilities, is seeking individuals interested in serving on a new business advisory committee for Community Options’ Bloomsburg office. Community Options’ mission is to promote the integration of persons with disabilities within the communities in which they reside, enabling them to become viable and contributing neighbors, employees and citizens of the community. The purpose of this committee is to discuss and implement ways to help the organization better integrate into the community and bridge the gap between the community and the individuals it serves. If you may be interested in serving on this committee, or for questions, contact associate executive director David McConaghy at 570-638-6007 or email. The next committee meeting is scheduled for Thursday, July 26 at noon at Community Options’ Bloomsburg office, located at 1117 Old Berwick Rd.
- If you’ve ever wanted to take the Millennium Falcon into hyperspace, stand beneath a 15-foot AT-AT walker, or tour an Ewok village, come to LCBC Church Columbia-Montour any weekend in July. This month, all LCBC campuses throughout Central Pennsylvania transform their space into movie sets and this year the Columbia-Montour campus, located at 2421 Columbia Blvd., Bloomsburg, will be featuring Star Wars. Experience life-size, interactive movie scenes beginning at 6 p.m. each weekend throughout the month of July. Attendees will be able to: Take photos with Darth Vader, stormtroopers, Princess Leia or racing speeders through the forest of Endor; test drive from the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon; see a 15-foot-high animated AT-AT and walk through an Ewok village; and converse with a life-size R2D2 and interact with BB-8! For more information, contact LCBC Church at 570-784-2132 or visit lcbcchurch.com/at-the-movies.
- Bloomsburg University will present an exhibition of photos from a soldier who served in the Vietnam War. Titled “Blaine Cooper: Images From a Local Soldier in Vietnam,” the exhibition will take place on Friday, July 27, from 6-8 p.m. in the Gallery at the Greenly Center, located at 50 E. Main St. in downtown Bloomsburg. This event is free and open to the public, and complimentary light refreshments will be provided. Cooper will then be part of a speakers’ panel from 6:30-8 p.m. For more information regarding this event, contact Bob Heckrote, Office of Military and Veterans’ Resources, at 570-389-4696 or email, or graduate assistant Briann Halpin at 570-389-3858 or email.
- A special health, wellness and career event for veterans will be held on Thursday, Aug. 2, from 4-8 p.m. at the Berwick Christian Church, located at 701 East 5th St., Berwick. A light meal will be provided and there will be representatives from Columbia County Veterans Affairs, Geisinger Health Plan’s wellness team, Commonwealth Health – Berwick Hospital Center, other local employers, as well as an art display and sale by a local veteran. There will also be two speakers: Chris Coppola, MD, author of A Pediatric Surgeon in Iraq, and Tom Neal, CEO of Berwick Hospital Center. Reserve your spot by calling 570-204-3930 or 570-752-5523.
- National Night Out will be hosted in Berwick, Bloomsburg and Danville on Tuesday, Aug. 7. This national event is an opportunity to community members to interact with law enforcement and first responders and learn about what they do and safety in the community. In Berwick, the event will be held from 5-8 p.m.at the Berwick Borough Building parking lot at 1800 North Market St. In Bloomsburg, the event will held at the Bloomsburg Municipal Airport, located at 301 Airport Rd., Bloomsburg, from 6-8 p.m. Danville’s event will be held from 5-7 p.m. at Washie’s Playground, located at 99 Faust St., Danville.
- Wild For Salmon will host its annual Fishtival on Saturday, Aug. 25 from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. at its retail location at 521 Montour Blvd. (Rt. 11), Bloomsburg. This annual celebration of the return of the fishermen after another successful fishing season will feature samplings as well as several other vendors, including Turkey Hill Brewing.
- In celebration of its 25th anniversary, Camp Victory will hold a special free family fun day for the community on Sunday, Sept. 9, from 12-3 p.m. Its swimming pool, climbing wall and zip line will be open and there will be hot dogs, ice cream, drinks, an arts and crafts project, a moon bounce, wagon rides and live music. For more information, visit the Facebook event page.