Member News – February 28, 2018
- Bloomsburg University, in conjunction with WVIA Public Media, will hold a screening of the PBS documentary, American Creed tonight, Feb. 28, at 7 p.m. in Gross Auditorium in Carver Hall. This screening is free and open to the public, but seating is limited, so reserve your seat online. In American Creed, Condoleezza Rice and David M. Kennedy team up across party lines to ask: In an increasingly fractured nation, what ideals do we share in common? Following the screening, WVIA’s Larry Vojtko will lead a discussion of the film with a panel of special guests and audience participation, which will be taped for broadcast on WVIA Public Media.
- The Bloomsburg Municipal Airport, which is operated by the Bloomsburg Municipal Authority, will hold a Fly-In/Drive-In Breakfast this Saturday, March 3, from 8 a.m. – noon at its location at 301 Airport Rd., Bloomsburg. The event is free and open to the public, however donations are suggested, and will be held rain or shine.
- The Bucknell Small Business Development Center will offer a pair of First Step Workshops in March and April. These “pre-business” workshops are intended to assist potential entrepreneurs that are considering starting a business but might not know where to start. Attendees at any of these sessions will learn about legal structure, selection a location, licenses and forms, insurance needs, business planning, small business taxes, hiring employees and more. The first workshop will be held on Tuesday, March 6, from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. at the DeWitt Building, 3rd floor, located at 416 Market St., Lewisburg. A second identical workshop will be held on Wednesday, April 11, from 1-3 p.m. at Service 1st Federal Credit Union, located at 1985 Montour Blvd. (Rt. 11), Danville. Cost is $25 for each workshop, and those interested can register online or by calling 570-577-1249.
- The Wilkes Small Business Development Center will also hold a First Step Workshop on Wednesday, March 14, at 6 p.m. at its location at 85 South Main St., Wilkes-Barre. Cost for this workshop is $20, and registration can be done online or by calling 570-408-4340. A Wilkes SBDC representative is also available to meet with those interested in starting a business in the Bloomsburg and Columbia County area individually by appointment. Call the same number at the Wilkes SBDC to set up an appointment.
- The Danville area as well as two Chamber members were recently featured on a travel blog on travel booking website Expedia.com. The post, titled “15 places for the perfect childfree getaway” lists Danville as one of those 15 along with other locales such as Big Sur, Calif., Wailea, Hawaii, Point Pleasant Beach, N.J., and others. It also specifically mentions the Abigail House Bed & Breakfast, which “offers a peaceful respite” as well as the Montour Preserve, which is managed by the Montour Area Recreation Commission.
- The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport (AVP) has added two non-stop flights each weekday to Pittsburgh International Airport beginning on April 23. These flights will be in conjunction with Regional Sky, and are now available to be booked. AVP now offers non-stop flights to seven of the largest hubs in the United States, including Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, Detroit, Newark, Philadelphia and now Pittsburgh. For more information, see the flyer, or visit AVP’s website.
- The local PA CareerLink centers have scheduled their 2018 job fairs. The local one in our area will be held on Wednesday, May 9, from 4-7 p.m. at Columbia-Montour Area Vocational Technical School, located at 5050 Sweppenheiser Dr., Bloomsburg. There will also be job fairs during May just outside of the area at Shikellamy High School in Sunbury on May 2 and at the Selinsgrove VFW in May 30. Later in the year, there will be one at the Best Western in Lewisburg on Sept. 6. The registration links for employers are now open for the three May events. See the flyer for more information as well as registration links.