- The Bloomsburg Municipal Airport, which is operated by the Bloomsburg Municipal Authority, will hold a free six-week Ground School course beginning tomorrow, Thursday, Feb. 1, from 6-9 p.m. and running each of the next five Thursdays at the same time at the airport terminal building, 301 Airport Rd., Bloomsburg. This course is intended to teach prospective pilots about aircraft performance, flight mechanics, weight and balance, navigation, radio communication, weather and FAA regulations, as well as prepare students to take the written Private Pilot Ground School Exam, which is a requirement to obtain a private pilot certificate. For more information, see this flyer or email the airport coordinator.
- The athletics department at Bloomsburg University will host a series of events on National Girls & Women in Sports Day this Saturday, Feb. 3 in Nelson Field House. The events are open to all girls and boys in grades K-8. The day begins with a free basketball clinic at 10 a.m., following by a speed and agility clinic, activities fair and pizza party. All participants are then invited to attend the women’s basketball game vs. Lock Haven (admission is free to participants) and a post-game autograph session. For more information, including how to RSVP, see this flyer.
- Jeb Stotter, president and CEO of North Shore Railroad, was recently named to the 2018 Top 100 People list by Pennsylvania Business Central, a business trade publication. This annual list celebrates the top 100 people in business and economic development who have learned how to develop their organizations and communities. Stotter was named the president and CEO of North Shore last year.
- Ken Pollock Volvo in Pittston, part of the Ken Pollock Auto Group that owns Ken Pollock Ford-Lincoln, was recently awarded a 2018 DealerRater Consumer Satisfaction Award, an annual recognition given to auto dealerships that deliver outstanding customer service as rated by online consumer reviews. DealerRater is the world’s leading car dealer review website, and it created this award program to let online car shoppers instantly spot dealers that provide high-quality customer service. Only the top 10 percent of U.S. new-car dealers are given Consumer Satisfaction Awards.
- GAF, one of the Chamber’s newest members and North America’s largest roofing products manufacturer, will host a job fair on Saturday, Feb. 10, from 8 a.m. – 12 p.m. at its New Columbia facility, located at 2093 Old Route 15. GAF is looking for dedicated, safety-minded individuals with manufacturing experience to join its team. An iPad mini 4 will be given out to one attendee that has completed an online job application prior to arriving at the job fair and who also completes an information card at the event. Attendees will have an opportunity to learn more about GAF, meet its employees, tour the facility and learn about its hiring process. Refreshments will be available. For more information, see this flyer and visit GAF’s career website.
- The Central Susquehanna Community Foundation will hold its Annual Meeting on Friday, Feb. 23, from 12-1:30 p.m. at the Pine Barn Inn. A lunch will be served and attendees will be able to hear four speakers. CSCF president and CEO Holly Morrison will talk about “Spreading the Message of Philanthropy” while board member John Kurelja will speak about the regional impact of the CSCF’s philanthropic activities. Two speakers from Wilmington Trust will also talk about the CSCF’s funds’ performances. For more information, see this invitation, and to RSVP, email or call Karri Harter at 570-752-3930, ex. 6, by Feb. 16.
- Wesley United Methodist Church has been hosting the community friendship meal since 2002. Guests in need are able to be served a warm and nutritious meal every Saturday morning from 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., free of charge. Volunteer groups are needed to keep this meal going in the future. If you have a group that is interested in volunteering for a few hours on a Saturday morning during the year, please visit the church’s website and click on “community friendship meal.” For questions, please contact Katy Miller at 570-441-2850. Please note that beginning Jan. 6, the community friendship meal will be held at St. Matthew Lutheran Church, 123 N. Market St., Bloomsburg, while the Wesley UM Church kitchen goes through a renovation that may last 8-12 weeks.