Member News – October 25, 2017
- Jazz and world music vocalist Somi will perform tonight, Oct. 25, at 7:30 p.m. at the Weis Center For the Performing Arts at Bucknell University.
The performance is free and tickets are not required. There will also be a free pre-performance talk with the artist from 6:45-7:15 p.m. in the Atrium Lobby. Blending modern jazz, African music and the singer-songwriter tradition, Somi’s latest album, Petite Afrique, is an amalgamation of the musical and cultural worlds that resonate with Somi as an African and American woman and a proud native of Harlem.
- Jeb Stotter has been appointed the new chief executive officer at North Shore Railroad, effective Oct. 19.
Previously vice president and chief operating officer, Stotter has been with North Shore since 2001 and has held numerous positions, including VP and COO since 2015. Stotter replaces Gary Shields, who retired as president and CEO but will remain chair of the North Shore and affiliates board of directors. For more information, read the official announcement.
- The Danville Borough will holds its annual Halloween parade tomorrow night, Oct. 26, beginning at 7 p.m. The rain date is Sunday, Oct. 29 at 3 p.m. Tomorrow, Mill St. will close at 6 p.m., Rt. 54 at Front St. will close at 6:15 p.m. Market St. will close at 6:20 p.m., and access from the former Metso Mineral will be closed. Collections for next year’s parade will begin at 6:30 p.m.
- PPL Electric Utilities and its supply chain division is hosting a Diversity Meet and Greet event on Friday, Nov. 17, from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. at the PPL Conference Center at Walbert, 1639 Church Rd., Allentown. This event is designed for business owners who are veterans, women, minorities, LGBT and disabled, to have an opportunity to find out more about PPL and its opportunities for suppliers. Attendees will have a chance to meet and speak to PPL leaders and the staff that works with suppliers. There is no cost to attend, but those interested in attending should register online by this Friday, Oct. 27. For more information, see this flyer.
- The Bloomsburg Area YMCA will host its annual Trunk or Treat Halloween event this Friday, Oct. 27, from 5:30-8:30 p.m. at its location at 30 East 7th St., Bloomsburg. Join it, The Exchange, AGAPE Love From Above to our Community, First Keystone Community Bank and others for a night of spooky family fun. There will be fun activities, a haunted walk-through and plenty of Halloween candy. The Bloomsburg YMCA Y-Care program, a before and after-school program for children, will also be waiving its registration fee on Oct. 27. For more information on this event, visit the Bloomsburg Y’s website.
- The Bucknell Small Business Development Center (SBDC) will hold a cybersecurity workshop, which will be specially tailored to small businesses this Friday, Oct. 27, from 8:30-11:30 a.m. at the Elaine Langone Center, Center Room on the Bucknell campus in Lewisburg. Last year, almost half of all cyberattacks targeted small businesses and two out of every three small businesses hit by a cyberattack close within a few months of the disruption. Come to this workshop to learn how to arm your small business against cyberattacks and connect with resources who can help. The cost of $49. Register online or call Shelley at 570-577-1249.
- The Ken Pollock Auto Group will team up with Operation Kidsafe to hold Kid Safety Day this Saturday, Oct. 28, from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. in which parents can bring their children to get a free digital finger prints and photos. Parents can get the finger prints and pictures to authorities to aid an investigation anywhere in the world. This event will be held at Ken Pollock Volvo Cars, 339 Highway 315, Pittston. Ken Pollock Auto Group will also hold its 4th annual Trunk or Treat at four locations, including Ken Pollock Ford Lincoln at 1120 West Front St., Berwick, on Oct. 31. All day long on Halloween, there will be treats in all the vehicles in the showroom for the children. Costumes are encouraged.
- UPDATE – AS OF OCT 26, THIS EVENT HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED FOR NOV. 18. – The Bloomsburg Municipal Airport, which is operated by the Bloomsburg Municipal Authority, will hold a Fly-In/Drive-In/Walk-In Breakfast on Sunday, Oct. 29, from 8 a.m. – noon at its locations at 301 Airport Rd., Bloomsburg. The event is free and open to the public, however donations are suggested. It will feature both pumpkin and plain pancakes, eggs, sausage, ham and more.
- PA CareerLink of Columbia/Montour Counties, along with the Innovative Manufacturers Center (IMC), will host a collaborative robot workshop next Monday, Oct. 30, from 9-11:30 a.m. at the Pine Barn Inn, Danville. There is no cost to attend and a light breakfast will be served. Around the world, thousands of robots work collaboratively alongside humans with no safety guards and no problems. Come and learn about universal robots, robot programming, end effector solutions, stands and protective covering, and participate in hands-on activities. Visit online to register or learn more about this event.
- The League of Voters, Republican and Democratic parties of Montour County will sponsor a Meet the Candidates night on Wednesday, Nov. 1, at 6 p.m. at the Pine Barn Inn ballroom for candidates running for Montour County treasurer. The event is free and open to the public and food will be provided. A debate will be held starting at 7:15 p.m.
- The Bucknell Small Business Development Center (SBDC) will hold a pair of training sessions for those interested in learning Quickbooks. The first session, titled Basic Quickbooks, will be on Thursday, Nov. 2, from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. at the DeWitt Building third floor, 416 Market. St., Lewisburg, and is intended for beginners or those new to Quickbooks. The second session, titled Intermediate Quickbooks, will be on Friday, Nov. 3, from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. at the same location. The cost is $75 per class. For more information or to register, visit online or call Shelley at 570-577-1249. Veterans are welcome to attend at no charge.
- The Northeastern Pennsylvania Industrial Resource Center (NEPIRC) is holding a three-part training series on supply chain strategy. All sessions in the series are free. The second and third parts of the series will be held on Thursday, Nov. 2 and Wednesday, Dec. 6, respectively. The Nov. 2 session will be held at the TekRidge Center, 50 Alberigi Dr., Jessup, and the Dec. 6l session will be held at the NEPIRC Training Center, 75 Young St., Wilkes-Barre. Dates, times and titles of each remaining session along with links to more information and to register, are below.
Nov. 2, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. – Total Cost of Ownership
Dec. 6, 8:30 a.m. – noon – Competition is no Longer Between Companies – it is Between Supply Chains
- The Ziegler College of Business at Bloomsburg University will host entrepreneur Kristopher B. Jones for a talk on Thursday, Nov. 2, at 11 a.m. in Gross Auditorium, Carver Hall. It is free and open to the public. Jones, who resides in Shavertown near Wilkes-Barre, has founded several successful businesses based in northeastern PA, including Pepperjam, which he sold to eBay in 2009. For over 20 years, Jones has been in pursuit of developing specific answers to the question – why do only 10% of entrepreneurs succeed? In this talk, Jones will present real world tips and strategies, while making a case that a primary function of entrepreneurship is about community impact and inspiring tomorrow’s entrepreneurial leaders.
- Innotek Computer Consulting will host its annual Technology and Security Expo on Wednesday, Nov. 8 at Sand Springs Country Club, 10 Clubhouse Dr., Drums. This annual event, billed as “Northeast Pennsylvania’s biggest technology and security expo,” brings together IT managers, executives and business owners to discuss the impact of technology and security on business. There is no cost to attend. For more information or to register, visit the event page on Innotek’s website, or the Facebook event page.
- The Bucknell Small Business Development Center (SBDC) will hold the last portion of its HR 20/20 workshop series on Wednesday, Nov. 8 from 8:30-10:30 a.m. at its DeWitt Building location in downtown Lewisburg. This session will focus on conflict management and will feature Tina Welch, from Welch Performance Consulting. The cost to attend is $40. Visit online to register or for more information, or call Shelley at 570-577-1249.
- Along with the Bloomsburg University Regional STEM Education Center, the Foundation of the Columbia Montour Chamber will co-sponsor the Future Careers Expo on Thursday, Nov. 9, from 6-8:30 p.m. at the Kehr Union Ballroom on the BU campus. The annual event allows attendees to explore career in science, technology, engineering and math and it open to all students in grades 7-12, as well as their parents. Participants can receive a BU application fee waiver just for attends, and there will also be door prizes for those that sign up. For more information and to register, visit here. For businesses that are interested in participating as vendors, please fill out this form and return it to the email address on the form by Oct. 20. For questions from businesses, please call the Chamber Foundation at 570-784-2522 or email.
- In honor of Veterans Day, Geisinger Bloomsburg Hospital will hold a dinner celebration for veterans on Thursday, Nov. 9 at the GBH dining room in which it will provide a complimentary meal for all veterans and one guest each. There will be four seatings at 3, 4, 5 and 6 p.m. All veterans and a guest are invited as Geisinger celebrates your service to the United States. Reservations are required by Nov. 3, as seating is limited. Call 570-387-2145 to reserve your seat. The buffet dinner includes carved roast beef, mashed potatoes with gravy, corn, green beans, beverages and cake and ice cream.
- State Rep. Dave Millard will help dedicated State Route 93 as Stuart Tank Memorial Highway, with a ceremony on Sunday, Nov. 12, at 1 p.m. at the Atomic Academy Brazilian Jiu Jitsu lot, located at 1901 Orange St., Berwick.
- State Rep. Dave Millard will host his third annual Veterans Expo on Saturday, Nov. 18 from 9 a.m. – noon at Central Columbia High School, located at 4777 Old Berwick Rd., Bloomsburg. Exhibitors with veteran-related information will be available.